Chanel has recently upgraded their suncare and have already launched the new version in Asia, but not in the States yet. Clearly they have also changed its name to UV Essentiel Soin Quotidien Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF 50+.
This year has been very interesting to me as most of the big cosmetic companies have been releasing either new or upgraded suncare especially focusing on protection against environmental aggressors including pollution. Although Chanel has been adding a touch of anti-pollution benefits in some of their skincare for a long time, they have upgraded their sunscreen to even more powerfully protect skin both internally and externally.
Texture & Scent
UV Essentiel Soin Quotidien Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF 50+'s still in a very light creamy liquidy consistency without any oily residue, which is quite difficult to find in a mineral sunscreen on the market. It doesn't get absorbed into skin instantly when applying as it's heavily zinc oxide, but once you spread evenly and give a bit of a tapping motion all over your face, all the streaks disappears. I would still say that's pretty good for a mineral sunscreen.
It also goes on very fine and light, so it doesn't have that chalky or masky feeling on the skin. There's a rather subtle cooling sensation upon application, which feels quite nice during warmer seasons. And it's very easy to re-apply throughout the day thanks to the light texture. Indeed, you can tell that the company has tried to work on the weakness of mineral sunscreens.
It doesn't makes skin look ghostly white when it's tested on the back of my hands. However, it does noticeably leave a white cast when it's applied onto my face, which is inevitable in my opinion as it's heavily zinc oxide based. As a make-up base though, it's perfect. Although it's not as runny liquidy light as their oil-free make-up base LE BLANC Light Creator Brightening Makeup Base SPF 40, UV Essentiel Soin Quotidien Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF 50+ gives almost the same barely there feeling after putting on. It also shares Chanel's signature quite artificial peachy scent that I will never get used to -_-. If you prefer something more invisible and hydrating for a make-up base, I highly suggest Dior's new zinc oxide based ONE Essential City Defense SPF 50 (full review) instead.
A complete daily shield, UV ESSENTIEL safeguards skin from harmful rays, including long UVA, indoor lighting and pollution.
Its smart technology boosts up to x4.7* the expression of SPRRs, the proteins naturally present inside skin cells that safeguard it according to the intensity of external stressors.
With tailor-made protection, skin is perfectly defended, and its natural beauty is preserved each day, all year long.
Radiant, plump and moisturised, skin is perfectly primed for makeup application.
*Ex vivo test - evaluation of the cells protection by quantification of SPRR2 in the nuclear – results with SPF 30
CHANEL reveals the power of tiare flower in skin protection. A symbol of beauty with a delicately sweet scent, tiare flower extract stimulates SPRRs, skin's innate protective proteins, even under periods of long-term stress. With reinforced expression of SPRRs:
- Skin's self-defense is more effective and proactive;
- Its barrier function is protected, for skin that is more plump and luminous.
A powerful combination of UV filters protects skin from harmful rays, including long UVA, infrared, indoors light and induced free radicals.
An exclusive skin protection complex preserves skin's DNA and stem cells micro-environment.
UV Essentiel Soin Quotidien Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF 50+ also has an alcohol scent and I get a burning sensation in my eyes at first, even when I don't even put near my eyes O_O. Well, it's weird, because it didn't make my eyes watery when I actually put it around my eyes though. I guess that alcohol content justifies the cooling sensation and how light the texture is. Regardless, if your skin is sensitive to fragrance or alcohol content, you probably want to test it at the counter first.
Having said that because of how light UV Essentiel Soin Quotidien Multi-Protection Daily Defender UV-Pollution SPF 50+ is, it's not that hydrating. In fact, it doesn't dry out skin throughout the day unlike some of zinc oxide based sunblock on the market, which is quite nice, but you will need to put on some hydrating moisturiser beforehand if you have dehydration issues. I must say, it certainly works well for humid/hot weather and for those with oily / combination skin types. If you look for something for colder seasons or something more hydrating, then I highly recommend you to check out their new CC Cream (full review) that I have been massively in love with since last year :3.
Where to Buy
Here are some other products that might be worth checking in comparison to Chanel sunscreen:
- La Prairie Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen SPF 30
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Cushion Compact SPF 35 VS Dior Capture Totale Dream Skin Perfect Skin Cushion SPF 50
- Dior ONE ESSENTIAL City Defense SPF 50 / Mist-Lotion / Booster Serum / Eye Serum
- Chanel CC Cream SPF 50
- La Prairie Day Creams & Emulsions with SPF (Anti-Aging / Radiance / Swiss Ice Crystal)
- High-end Hydrating Moisturiser Comparison (Guerlain vs La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley)
- Luxury Skincare Brand Purchase Guide (La Mer VS La Prairie VS Swiss Perfection VS Sisley)
- Luxury Suncare Comparison (La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley vs Chantecaille vs Chanel vs Dior)
- More posts on Chanel, Suncare, Detox, Anti-Aging and Anti-Pollution
- Chanel Le Lift V-Flash Serum
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Concentrate Pure Gold
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Perfecting Fluide Pure Gold
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Emulsion SPF 30
- La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask
- SISLEY Super Soin Solaire Youth Protector SPF 50 vs LA MER The SPF 50 UV Protecting Fluid (Blanc de La Mer)
- La Prairie Cellular Swiss UV Protection Veil Sunscreen SPF 50
- Chanel LE BLANC Brightening Concentrate Double Action TXC & Moisturizing Cream TXC
- Chanel Le Jour / La Nuit / Le Weekend de Chanel (Resychronizing Skincare)