Although it has been more than 6 years since I stopped using Estée Lauder make-up products, I thought that I would try their new Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 All Day Wear Liquid Compact. As you all know by now, I like to try different CC cushions as I do enjoy using them as a part of my suncare regime.
I purchased Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 from Nordstrom and opened the compact with excitement. However, I was instantly disappointed before even trying it out because of their poor presentation. The compact was sealed, but when I took the seal off, it was very messy as if they just poured the liquid into the cushion.
To be honest, I've been using different types of CC cushions, but I've never encountered such a poor looking one O_O. Even the cheaper alternatives don't look that messy inside the new compact.
Other than that, I was very surprised with how the company set the price for Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50. It's on low end price-wise compared to their competitors including Dior, Bobbi Brown and Lancome. Note that, only Dior CC cushion comes with a refill like Amore Pacific and Sulhwasoo, whereas you need to buy a refill separately for Estée Lauder, Bobbi Brown and Lancome.
Then, I reached the conclusion that the company probably set the price low not just because of their high-end competitors, but also to challenge Laneige BB Cushion which is reasonably priced and has been one of the cult classic CC cushions on the market along with Amore Pacific and IOPE.
Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 not only sounds quite similar to Laneige BB cushion in terms of the shade and the finish but also in the coverage that it offers and even the name. I'm on the shade 3W1 Tawny, the darkest one in Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50, which is quite funny because I'm also on the deepest shade in Laneige BB cushion.
Shade 3W1 Tawny
However, Laneige one goes on much better with my skin tone, whereas Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion blends into my skin much darker than what it seems on the surface sadly...:(
Just for a reference, I'm in between shade 30 and 40 for Chanel foundations. And here's what happened with Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion when I put it on the worst day of the week. Also known as my insomnia day! :/ On the day, I was extremely tired and had a massive headache on top of the motion sickness. Meaning, my skin looked very lifeless and dull although my skin was clear of any breakouts. Anyway, it was a good time to test it properly to compare with other CC cushions that I own.
Upon initial application (No other make-up other than Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion)
Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion gives a nice cooling sensation and glow upon application as expected from all CC cushions and the colour lasts for a few hours pretty well without touching up in winter.
A few hours later
I'm not sure about if the Estée Lauder Cushion puff is anti-bacterial like the Amore Pacific owned companies such as Sulhwasoo, Laneige and IOPE, but it felt quite similar to Dior and Bobbi Brown's puffs. The difference amongst them is that Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion seem to release the liquid quite unevenly while all of them absorb the product quite a lot at a time.
And the worst part is that my skin didn't look insomnia-free, which all of the CC cushions that I reviewed so far gave me that fresh wide awake look all day... I felt that the more I re-apply throughout the day, the more dull my skin looked.. It isn't bad, but it certainly isn't the best I've ever used.
Regardless, Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 is based on physical sun filters and also provides good hydration like the Laneige one is known for. When you try Laneige BB cushion, you will understand why they named it BB cushion rather than CC cushion. You can build it up to medium coverage giving a good colour pay off despite their limited number of colour selections.
And it's interesting to find out that Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 is very similar to Laneige BB cushion although they were made in two different countries: Estée Lauder one in Japan and Laneige one in Korea where CC cushions originated from.
Overall, Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50 will work great on all skin types except oily skin, which is similar to Laneige Anti-Aging BB Cushion. However, I'm quite curious if Estée Lauder has a plan to come out with one specifically designed for oilier skin types later like how Laneige has one in their line. If you are on a budget, I highly recommend you check out Laneige BB cushions as they not only include a free refill, but they also work just fine giving better coverage than most of the typical CC cushions that we know of.
Where to Buy
Here are some other products that might be worth checking in comparison to Estée Lauder Double Wear Cushion BB SPF 50:
- Dior CC Cushions (Capture Totale Dream Skin VS Forever Perfect VS Diorsnow Bloom Perfect)
- Chanel LES BEIGES Gel Touch Healthy Glow Foundation Cushion Compact (CC Cushion/ SPF 15)
- La Prairie Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen SPF 30
- La Prairie Light Fantastic Cellular Concealing Brightening Eye Treatment (Concealer/ Highlighter/ Primer)
- IOPE Bio Essence Intensive Conditioning (First Essence Lotion)
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Cushion Compact SPF 35 VS Dior Capture Totale Dream Skin Perfect Skin Cushion SPF 50
- Estée Lauder Micro Essence Skin Activating Treatment Lotion & Micro Essence Aquaceutical™ Mist
- Chanel CC Cream SPF 50
- High-end Hydrating Moisturiser Comparison (Guerlain vs La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley)
- Luxury Skincare Brand Purchase Guide (La Mer VS La Prairie VS Swiss Perfection VS Sisley)
- More posts on Suncare, La Prairie, Sisley and Intensive Treatments
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Concentrate Pure Gold
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Perfecting Fluide Pure Gold
- Estée Lauder Re-Nutriv Ultimate Diamond Transformative Energy Creme & Eye Creme
- John Masters Organics Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil
- Mason Pearson / Best Hair Brushes & Combs for Men, Women and Children
- Sisley Face Masks
- Dior ONE ESSENTIAL City Defense SPF 50 / Mist-Lotion / Booster Serum / Eye Serum