La Prairie launched their new suncare products this year including Cellular Swiss UV Protection Veil Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (full review) and Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream SPF 30, and I clearly couldn't decide which one to get as each of them is quite different. So I purchased both of them during the Transforming Event (full review) held at Nordstrom in Spring. I was a big fan of their discontinued tinted moisturiser, and I had high expectations as the new Transforming Cream SPF 30 was supposed to deliver better benefits against skin aging as well as fortified sun protection. By the way, if you are just looking for higher sun protection, then I suggest you to check out my review on Cellular Swiss UV Protection Veil Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50. Regardless, here are my thoughts on their new Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream SPF 30 after my thorough testing across different seasons :).
Transforming Cream SPF 30 has fragrance, so I recommend you to do a patch test before making a purchase if you have a fragrance sensitivity. Other than that, it smells just like how you would expect from La Prairie; not too perfumey, aromatic or floral. My nose is exceptionally sensitive to the scent that I can't actually use some of natural skincare products as they give me a headache and nausea. However, I've been doing great with the Transforming Cream SPF 30, which is indeed a good news as the scent doesn't last long either :).
I don't normally pay much attention on whether skincare products are oil-free or not, simply because my skin actually needs some oil to a certain extent. But Transforming Cream SPF 30 is oil-free, which makes it the second oil-free moisturiser within La Prairie's moisturiser category followed by Extrait of Skin Caviar Firming Complex (full review). In case you are new to the brand, La Prairie's oil-free moisturisers may not feel very much like typical oil-free products from other brands.
Sahde 20 Nude
I'm finally very glad to tell you that Transforming Cream SPF 30 is great for those with normal to oilier skin types or even for people who prefer a semi-matte natural finish without looking too dry or matte. Having said that, I've experienced that application can be a little tricky whether you put on a heavy or lightweight moisturiser underneath, or even without any moisturisers.
You can use the brush that comes with the cream, or your own brush, but I've noticed that it's very difficult to apply the universally recommended amount for proper sun protection.
If you want to use the Transforming Cream SPF 30 as part of your main suncare regime, I suggest you try with your finger tips instead of the brush like how I've been doing.
And here's what I do upon application;
- Pump the suggested amount onto the back of your hand.
- Put little dots quickly on half of your face first instead of applying the cream straight onto the face.
- Controlling the amount is very important when dotting as it can get cakey when spreading those dots.
- Spread the cream as quick as possible from inwards out with minimal rubbing.
- If your cream got cakey somehow, then just wipe that area off gently with a moistened cotton pad and re-apply.
- Do the same for the other side.
Wearing Transforming Cream in shade 20 Nude without any powder on
survival skills of three plant extracts are transferred to the skin to help it adapt to life’s daily skin agers: stress, the environment, and aging itself. - supports the skin’s defense system against oxidative stress; - maintains the function of epidermal stem cells and supports skin renewal - supplies potent anti-oxidant activity
- protects the skin from UV-induced damage
- hydrates and helps retain moisture
- helps prevent water loss and soothes the skin
- transforms dull skin to look young and vibrant
- minimizes appearance of enlarged pores by tightening the skin around the pore
You could use Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream SPF 30 around the eye area unless you have a very dry skin around the area or fragrance sensitivity. It never irritated my eyes once till now except the very first time when I accidentally applied it very close to my eyelashes :/. I only have a minor dark circle issue luckily, so I could get away with the Transforming Cream SPF 30 without using any concealer. It doesn't cover fully, but it certainly gives pretty good natural coverage. If you have heavy dark circles, then you will need an extra concealer.
That actually applies the same to face as it doesn't have much coverage. This is expected as it wasn't launched as a foundation, but as a suncare and tinted moisturiser hybrid. As a tinted moisturiser, I'd say that it gives quite nice light to medium coverage and pretty good longevity. It certainly isn't as sheer as the company's discontinued previous tinted moisturisers. As you already get a natural polished look from the Transforming Cream SPF 30, I don't generally like to put anything on top other than a tinted lip balm.
If you like to put on more make-up over Transforming Cream SPF 30, then I suggest you be very careful when doing it. Once the cream is applied, it almost feels like it forms a very fine film. Meaning, further rubbing or patting can actually makes skin look cakey. I would certainly avoid using any puff for this reason.
I mentioned earlier that the cream is more suitable for normal to oilier skin, my normal dehydrated skin has been in need of more hydration as the weather has become colder. Spring and summer was fine, but autumn and this winter has been a bit tough. Although my skin stays mostly normal in warmer seasons, my skin gets quite dry and dehydrated over autumn and winter. I know, unlike its creamy texture, Transforming Cream SPF 30 isn't as deeply hydrating compared to most other La Prairie moisturisers. I think that it's mostly because it's oil-free and has built-in zinc oxide for sun protection.
Regardless, my skin needs some oil, so I've been actually adding a few drops of face oil.
Adding face oil
It provides extra hydration and gives more of a glow. Note that adding the oil into the cream can sheer out the coverage you get and SPF that you get will also be lower.
Unlike the semi-matte finish without oil, you actually get quite a nice velvety finish. I personally like this way better, and this combination hasn't caused any breakouts :).
Transforming Cream in shade 20 Nude + Face Oil
Where to Buy
If you are thinking of using Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 along with other La Prairie products for faster results, here are some of my suggestions based on my family's experience including myself.
Serums / Boosters
- La Prairie White Caviar Illuminating Pearl Infusion (Brightening/Firming)
- Skin Caviar Essence-in-Lotion (First Essence)
- Cellular Radiance Concentrate Pure Gold (Anti-wrinkle/Plumping)
- Skin Caviar Liquid Lift (Lifting)
- Skin Caviar Crystalline Concentre (Firming/Renewing)
- Anti-Aging Rapid Response Booster (Anti-wrinkle/Renewing)
Moisturisers / Finishers without SPF
- Cellular Radiance Perfecting Fluide Pure Gold
- Cellular Radiance Night Cream
- Skin Caviar Moisturisers (Luxe Cream / Luxe Cream Sheer / Firming Complex)
- Cellular Time Release Moisturizer Intensive
Colour Matching / Swatches
Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 comes in three other shades; 10 Rose, 30 Beige and 40 Tan.
10 Rose, 30 Beige and 40 Tan (from left to right)
The shades Beige and Tan are quite similar once they are blended in, but I think that Beige is a bit more pink based. They both give quite a neutral finish without looking too pink or yellow.
Although I have the cream in the shade 20 Nude, I can wear all four shades as they blend excellently into skin just like their previous tinted moisturisers. I feel that they are as creamy as Chanel CC Creams(full review), but it feels a lot healthier and less fragrant than the Chanel ones. I'm just in love with Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30 for its blendability, versatility and the finish! :)
And here are some of the brands that might be worth checking in comparison to La Prairie:
- Diorskin Forever Perfect Cushion Foundation SPF 35 PA+++ by Dior
- La Prairie Light Fantastic Cellular Concealing Brightening Eye Treatment (Concealer/ Highlighter/ Primer)
- La Prairie Line Interception Power Duo
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Cushion Compact SPF 35 VS Dior Capture Totale Dream Skin Perfect Skin Cushion SPF 50
- Luxury Skincare Brand Purchase Guide (La Mer VS La Prairie VS Swiss Perfection VS Sisley)
- High-end Hydrating Moisturiser Comparison (Guerlain vs La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley)
- Luxury Suncare Comparison (La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley vs Chantecaille vs Chanel vs Dior)
- More posts on La Prairie, Face Oil, Suncare and Intensive Treatments
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Emulsion SPF 30
- IOPE Bio Essence Intensive Conditioning (First Essence Lotion)
- Mason Pearson / Best Hair Brushes & Combs for Men, Women and Children
- KoY Attune O'ASSIS Essence Toner & Attune O'ASSIS Cream (Korean Beauty Tips / Korean Celebrity Skin Care)
- Simplehuman 8" Lighted Sensor Magnifying Makeup Mirror
- Sisley All Day All Year Essential Anti-Aging Day Care
- Sisley Sunleÿa Age Minimizing After-sun Care