My last mask review was on Swiss Cellular White Illuminating Mask (full review), so I thought I should write about La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask for those preferring cream type ones like Sisley masks (full review) :).
As you can tell from the name it's part of the Skin Caviar Collection. I remember the time when the La Prairie counter manager in Korea told me that the company was discontinuing Skin Caviar 6-week Intensive Ampoule Treatment, so my mother and I would needed to stock them up before it's gone forever O_O. To be honest, it was very annoying for the company to discontinue such an effective intensive treatment. And we were having fun with our alchemy ritual; mixing things in vials together and shaking :3. Naaaw :'(. We both couldn't understand why they decided to discontinue it because the treatment was very convenient and somewhat economical as you didn't need to use any other serum for 6 weeks. Ugh, maybe that's why they decided to stop producing it :P (joke)
Regardless, let's talk about the relatively more affordable, but less effective, La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask compared to their discontinued ampoule treatment. Haha, it's funny how I still feel that it's less potent than their original ampoules even after I've gone through several jars of the mask.
Scent & Consistency
The scent is neither good nor bad. I's say it smells like their Skin Caviar collection, but it's not as obvious. There's a slight hue to it, which isn't very overpowering or noticeable when applying.
The texture is quite dense yet creamy. It's nowhere near as thick or rich as their legendary Skin Caviar Luxe Cream (full review), so if you are used to using the cream, then La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask might not be enough just by itself.
It spreads easily with or without the mask brush and penetrates quite well. If you decide to use the brush that it comes with, then you can actually apply it very thinly. This means that even oilier skin types might be able to use it as long as it's applied very thinly. However, I've noticed that the brush absorbs way too much product that I stopped using it even after my very first application. It could've been much better if they made it less dense and provided a thinner brush if they really wanted to include.
I personally think that it could've been better if they put a massaging tool rather than a brush as the mask is designed for firming and lifting. Or just don't include any and lower the price XD. Regardless, even with your finger tips, the mask is buildable, so most skin types other than very dry and oily/problem prone skin can get away without using extra products by doing so.
- caviar extracts, a source of marine DNA, nourish the skin with vitamins, nucleic acid, phospholipids, and proteins to boost skin’s long-term firmness
- caviar extracts include omega 3s which boost the antioxidant level of defence in the skin and improve the skin’s barrier function
- golden samphire extract (botanical) helps stimulate collagen for improved skin suppleness
- advanced lipo-peptide rebuilds skin to improve skin texture and smooth wrinkles from the inside
- herbal complex relaxes the skin, minimising wrinkle-causing stress and pressure
- marine extract fills wrinkles within 15 minutes with a lasting effect of 6 hours
- sunflower seed oil and salicornia extract renew skin’s barrier function during sleep, reducing trans-epidermal water loss
- capuacu butter helps restore elasticity and retain moisture
- fermented yeast extract helps skin’s natural purification system eliminate damaged cells, reducing an aged look
- innovative algae extract decreases a natural skin-aging protein
- carica papaya smooths skin as effectively as glycolic acid but more gently
Effectiveness & Tips
If there's any of you considering La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask just because it has been advertised by magazines as one of the wonders when flying, then you might want to reconsider it. Well, if you have oily/combo skin and if you don't have a long flight, then it could work. However, it didn't work just by itself very effectively in the plane at least for my normal/dehydrated skin :P. Regardless, Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask wasn't designed for a hydrating treatment anyways.
The mask works great as a firming treatment. Upon wake-up, my skin feels velvety smooth and looks more toned and clear. It somehow heals little pimple marks here and there on my face pretty fast too when I'm on my monthly. However, if you are purely looking for skin regeneration, then I find La Mer The Concentrate (full review) or Chantecaille Jasmine and Lily Healing Mask (full review) way superior in that sense. The mask doesn't seem to brighten spots or even the skin tone, but it certainly seems to help firming and regenerate skin. The skin texture feels visibly different indeed, but it isn't powerfully resurfacing.
I've noticed that it works much better after using my Glamglow mud mask (full review) or Roloxin instant wrinkle smoothing mask (full review). If you want a little extra umph to your skin whether, it's for the special occasion or your skin needs a bit extra, then I also recommend you to try out those essence/serums underneath;
- Skin Caviar Liquid Lift (lifting / full review)
- Skin Caviar Crystalline Concentre (firming, extra Luminosity & hydration / full review)
- Skin Caviar Essence-in-Lotion (extra moisture & boosting / full review)
If you have a very dry skin, you can actually apply a few drops of face oil on top of the mask about 15-20 min after application. If you are not a face oil person, then you can also put on your Skin Caviar moisturisers instead. I highly recommend you to avoid putting on deep penetrating hydrating focused skincare products when you use the mask as they don't go well with firming/lifting treatments.
After putting on the product, I typically do a gentle facial massage to promote blood circulation. This will not only help the product(s) in terms to get absorbed better into skin but also boost the efficacy of the lifting products. You don't need to do much, just 30 sec to a min will also do fine :).
If you are thinking of using Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask along with other La Prairie moisturisers for faster results, here are some of my suggestions based on my family's experience including myself.
Moisturisers with SPF
- Cellular Radiance Emulsion SPF 30
- Anti-Aging Day Emulsion SPF 30 & Day Cream SPF 30
- Cellular Swiss Ice Crystal Transforming Cream Sunscreen SPF 30
Moisturisers / Finishers without SPF
- Cellular Radiance Perfecting Fluide Pure Gold
- Cellular Radiance Night Cream
- Skin Caviar Moisturisers (Luxe Cream / Luxe Cream Sheer / Firming Complex)
- Cellular Time Release Moisturizer Intensive
You Fooled Us!
I certainly believe that it was a very profitable move for the company, but it might have been a bit nasty move for those who just started using Skin Caviar products or even for existing clients. Let me explain to you why from my perspective.
La Prairie knows and even people who are into luxury skincare know the fact that Skin Caviar collection is the one that makes people become loyal to the company. La Prairie is very smart that they probably have already known that the previous Skin Caviar Ampoules were a bit too upscale that they probably didn't get many sustainable users. And of course, I do understand the fact that they have been very trying hard to attract more new clients from mid-high priced skincare brands. In fact, I was very surprised when they first launched their Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask as it was only about USD 300. I say only, simply because the Skin Caviar serums and moisturisers are all over USD 400 and their previous intensive ampoule were priced way higher than that. And I would say that was a pretty good hook-up. I bet, people who always wanted to try out La Prairie skincare or even Skin Caviar Collection might have thought "Woo, Jackpot!" and got the mask without hesitation as all the magazines at the same time had helped to gain that massive popularity.
And yes, La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask works brilliantly despite of the fact that it's still less effective than their previous ampoules. I personally think that it seems to be more effective than other luxury skincare brands too. I believe that La Prairie would have seen an increased number of new clients and also the existing clients using the mask due to the effectiveness and the fact that it was reasonably priced at the beginning. It's also an overnight mask, which makes it very easy and convenient to use. Not even a year later, the company shockingly increased the price on the mask and now it stays on USD 330+. Yes, that's right, those who have been hooked now need to pay more money thinking "I can pay a little extra". Then, you started seeing Skin Caviar Collection price tags don't seem too bad. Meaning, that's the beginning of spending more money :). Well, I do give applause to La Prairie for their marketing strategy. They know the society and they know how mind works. La Prairie, you indeed fooled people, and even ME. Well, it will be very kind of you if you indicate anintroductory price for a LIMITED TIME next time though :).
Where to Buy
Here are some other products that might be worth checking in comparison to La Prairie Skin Caviar Luxe Sleep Mask:
- La Prairie Skin Care Comprehensive Overview
- La Mer The Brilliance Brightening Mask (Blanc de La Mer)
- La Mer The Lifting and Firming Mask
- Sisley Supremÿa at Night
- Sisley Face Masks
- Sisley Sisleÿa-Elixir
- Chanel Sublimage Masque (Overnight Regenerating Sleep Mask)
- Chanel Le Lift Masque de Massage (Recontouring Massage Mask)
- Luxury Skincare Brand Purchase Guide (La Mer VS La Prairie VS Swiss Perfection VS Sisley)
- High-end Hydrating Moisturiser Comparison (Guerlain vs La Mer vs La Prairie vs Sisley)
- More posts on La Prairie, Anti-Aging, Suncare, Face Oil and Intensive Treatments
- La Prairie - The Skin Caviar Collection (Treatments, Serums & Creams)
- La Prairie Cellular Radiance Concentrate Pure Gold
- Sisley Sisleÿa Essential Skin Care Lotion (First Essence)
- Chantecaille Jasmine and Lily Healing Mask
- Omorovicza Ultramoor Mud Mask
- Roloxin Lift Instant Skin Smoothing Mask
- La Mer The Treatment Lotion & The Concentrate